Wednesday, March 21, 2007

analytical viewer of moving media.

I would say that I am not that good of an analytical viewer of moving media. When I am watching TV, or a videotape, or a DVD, I usually am trying to relax. I am not focusing on the "outside" things of that movie. TV is my worse for analytical viewing.

When I watch TV, I am not always actually "watching" TV. I usually flip it on, out it on a channel I like, then go on and do other things. It is more of a background sound. When I actually "watch" TV, I usually still do not anaylize the moving medium. I just am watching it to relax. Once in a great while, though, I will catch something like the sound increasing, or a change of lighting. Just like TV, I am also not really good at analyzing videotapes.

Videotapes are hard for me to analyize. They are fun to watch, but I am usually caught up on what is going on. I am so focus that it is like I am actually there. I do analyize moving media a little better with videotapes though. Sometimes ill catch the camera movie or cut shots taking place. Videotape is easier to anaylize then TV for me, but DVDs are the easiest.

Out of all of these media, I pay attention to moving anaylisis during DVDS the most. This is still not a great number though. I usually am still focused on the medium and got lost in their world, but sometimes, it is different. If I have seen a DVD before, sometimes ill watch it again. When I do this, I occasionally look for these kinds of anaylisis. I will watch for cut scenes, look for lighting, notice the effect with sound, and realize the different things taking place. So, by far, DVDs are the easiest for me to anaylize, but I am still not good at it. I so gain somethings from anaylizing this stuff though.

First of all, I feel as though I am smarter. It gives me a sense that I have accomplish something. It also gives me a source of power because if I notice something, I am usually thinking something along the lines of "Ha, you didn't trick me, I heard the music and know why it had such a great effect." All in all, all these media can be great sources of analysis. A person can gain a lot of information about a movie and how it is made by just watching for these analytical elements. I may have to start anaylizing different medias harder in the future,

No comments: